Want to see if Essential Oils can benefit you and your family? Get some samples for free by filling out this form
I used to this getting my monthly “cycle” was a big giant curse. Who would actually want to have cramps, heavy bleeding, nausea, mood swings, and teenage acne every single month? Not me. It was the worst. I turned into this ticking time bomb for my husband every month for almost a whole week. I was miserable all around.
Fast forward to when I had my daughter, Evelyn – I asked to be put on the copper IUD because as a sleep deprived new mom, I didn’t trust myself with birth control pills if I’m being completely honest. But my body just went wacko. I was bleeding as if I had given birth each month, for 9 whole days. Bleeding like I had pushed another baby out of my womanly regions for 9.whole.days. The cramping was unbelievable and Tylenol didn’t even make a dent. It felt as though someone was scraping the insides of my uterus with a spoon while smacking me with a baseball bat. It really was that bad. And I was always crying and angry and just freaking out at my husband. My poor husband. He truly is a Saint. He put up with some crazy times with me- that’s for sure.
Something had to change. At 9 months postpartum, I asked to have my IUD removed, against my OBs better judgement and I told her I figured out how to have an unmedicated birth, I would figure out “Natural Family Planning”. I felt like my body just didn’t need hormone interference. And here we are, 2.5 years later and I’ve made huge progress in my epic PMS symptoms- all thanks to essential oils. *and no “unplanned” babies either*
First, I want to say, there are TONS of resources out there to HELP with your PMS symptoms, you are NOT supposed to be miserable each month. Let me say that one again, you are NOT supposed to be miserable each month. I highly recommend seeking out a natural-path doctor of some sort- family practitioner or an acupuncturist who specializes in hormone treatment. There is a lot that goes into balancing hormones, and it’s best to get check out professionally first to figure out what’s off balance in your body.
Once you clue in on your own chemical make-up, I really love the app My Flo – it helps combat PMS symptoms from a diet, exercise, and brain work and since following the recommendations for almost 8 months, I see a significant improvement in my overall mental health. Okay, now onto my top oils for “Shark Week” as I lovingly refer to it as.
- Clary Sage – Clary Sage is known for its calming properties and benefits to the skin. During your menstrual cycle, rub three to five drops on the abdomen for a soothing massage.
- Rose Touch – Rose Touch can be applied to pulse points for an uplifting aroma throughout the day. It can be used to balance moisture levels in the skin, reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, and promote a healthy and even skin tone.
- Geranium – A member of the Pelargonium genus of flower species, geraniums are grown for their beauty and as a staple of the perfume industry. Uses of Geranium essential oil date back to ancient Egypt when Egyptians used Geranium oil to beautify skin and for other benefits. Diffuse aromatically for a calming effect.
- Ylang Ylang – In aromatherapy, Ylang Ylang is used to lessen tension and stress and to promote a positive outlook.
- Clary Calm – As a proprietary blend designed to provide a soothing effect during a woman’s menstrual cycle, ClaryCalm offers cooling effects for the skin and balance for emotions.
- Phytoestrogen Essential Complex– is a blend of standardized plant phytoestrogens that support hormone balance gently and naturally. It also includes concentrated flax seed lignans to promote healthy metabolism.
- PastTense – To help ground and balance emotions, PastTense uses a fresh, cooling aroma that can ease stressful feelings and promote a sense of calm.
Those are my heavy hitters for me personally. I generally diffuse a lot, lots of abdominal massages, some detox baths with Epsom salts, and place oils on my pulse points and heart center. Coupled with paying attention to my diet, technology intake, sleep, and exercise, I’ve been able to manage my PMS symptoms extremely well and each cycle gets a little bit better than the last one.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.